Wednesday 30 January 2013

Better to be Safe than Sorry


Last week I read an article on the near death experience of Glee star Matthew Morrison. After reading, memories of my own near death immediately filled my head. We are always optimistic that tomorrow will always be a better day, but never can imagine that the possibilities of danger are a reality. I believe that the year was 2008 when my mother came home with a package of goodies from her work. Her work held a draw and she was the “lucky” winner. The package contained coupons to various stores, a carbon monoxide detector with other items as well.

I was visiting my friend’s house at the time of the incident. It was a Saturday night when my mother felt sleepy and decided to crawl into bed. Only minutes later while lying under the blankets she looked at the clock to read nine-twenty. She forced herself out of bed, as the night was still young. She went downstairs to watch television with my father. Within half an hour she felt dizzy, and decided to go back to bed. She asked for help to get upstairs, due to how dizzy she felt. As soon as she started to rise, she passed out in my father’s arms.  How we made it through that night is unexplainable. The next day was just an ordinary day, I wasn't even told about the incident until later. The next few days passed without any signs of danger. We continued to live our lives obliviously not knowing what was about to happen. It was morning time, approximately just after ten, when I was downstairs dancing and listening to music. Soon as the song finished I heard a ringing sound coming from upstairs- I ignored it thinking that it was just another pesky sells man at the door. I then resumed listening to my music. Fifteen minutes later the irritating sound continued. I suddenly ran upstairs to find my carbon monoxide detector reading very high levels of toxicity in the air. I turned off the furnace, opened all the windows and proceeded my way outside. I spent the remainder of the day at my grandfather’s house until I went to work. I remember coming home that night on my lunch break to find a couple of people scanning the area for the poison-apparently my house was very highly toxicity. We were informed that if not turned off, the furnace would have blown up. The room I was listening my music to was right next to the furnace. We were in luck that day. Thinking about the incident now, if had been working a regular shift from 9 am- 5 pm what would of happened? I have learned to be more aware and cautious about the dangers of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment