Tuesday 22 January 2013

The Opportunity Holds


Life holds endeavors many that become failures but also opportunities to succeed. We wake up each morning hoping the day ends quicker than when it began. It seems that instead of looking at the glorious opportunities that got us where we are, we instead move on with our day wishing we were somewhere else. From the moment you get in your car think back to when you passed your driving test and the happiness you felt, and when you arrive at work think about the hard work and dedication it took to land that job. Know that your past has created a future that will open up exciting opportunities for you and your family.

As mentioned before, my path towards school was challenging. As a child I was diagnosed with a learning disability. I transferred to another school midway in the third grade. My first day came and went and that year I started to meet new friends. After graduating, I along with my fellow classmates began our journey to middle school- Hillside. I arrived for my first day only to be greeted by some of my old classmates except they weren't as enthusiastic knowing that I was ‘unlike’ them. Throughout the years I can only remember certain memories: memories of being picked on due to my disability to learn. I believe that it was the last year of school (grade 8) when I decided to become more athletic and joined various sports teams- I didn't make them, not because of skills lacked but I was just not that popular back then. I don’t want to portray myself as one of those kids without any friends; I met a few of them which I still keep in contact with. After graduating I arrived at what was to be the most interesting years of my life- High School. The moment I opened the doors, to what was my home for the next four years, I automatically was a no-body in society. I was now known as “somebody without a future”.  My infamous school, West Credit, was among one of Ontario’s most violent schools. Students attending were always picked on by others and parents in the community listed us as a pariah in society. Throughout my four years I tried to stay under the radar and tried to just get by. The twelfth grade was the best year, the year where we emerged into the darkness to only find a “gloomy” light. It was the end of the year and my friends and I were all excited about the upcoming prom. Most of the assembly wasn't important. The only thing I can remember was when the discussion about our future plans was brought up- Employment. At the time it didn't matter to me as I was only looking to escape, but our counselor made it quite clear that after graduating, we will all be looking for jobs- so I did. I found a job quite quickly and moved back and forth in the work environment for a few years. After numerous low- pay jobs I up-graded. This process took two to three years to complete. Finally after completing all required courses I then applied to college and against all odds I became a Sheridan student.

I wrote this blog today not for sympathy, but to help you realize that life can get hard, so go through it with confidence, hard work, and drive. Many will tell you that all dreams have a limit. They told me that I will never succeed in college- I’m a B student.  

No comments:

Post a Comment