Monday 28 January 2013

Remembering the one's we love


Over the last two weeks I journey back in to my life and talked about the unsettling moments and times that I had to go through. This week I wanted to talk about someone that has inspired me and has given me the strength to move forward in the dark times – my mother. Now I know, a lot of people recognize their parents as an inspiration in life, but this special person has gone through so much. She’s the one person that taught me about the important values in life and learned not to take anything for granted.

My mother grew up in a small town in Montreal with two loving parents and two sisters. She met my father at an early age and fell in love instantly. My parents got married and soon moved to Toronto to start a new life and family. As an adolescent she lost both her father and sister which left her devastated. She, along with her family slowly moved on and became stronger than ever. At the age of 21 my parents were coming home from a long day of skiing when somebody fell asleep on the wheel and crushed the vehicle my parents were driving. My father only broke his nose, but my mother’s case was severe- she fractured her c2 and c3. For those who are unfamiliar with the seriousness of the injury the c2 and c3 bones are located in your neck and if broken it will leave you either paralysed from the neck down or dead. This was truly a miracle. After years of therapy my mother finally was able to use her full ligaments again and pursue her old life. My mother has overcome deaths and adversity even when the odds were against her. I look at her life and really feel inspired and proud that I can call her my mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment